Tuesday 7 May 2013

Visible Faith (Under the Overpass #2)


So this is my final PCR on the book Under the Overpass by Mike Yankoski. I really enjoyed this book. Not only did it hold a great message to visibly live the christian life (practice what you preach), but it also gave a huge insight to how many people are experiencing homelessness in our on cities or countries, and we do not notice. For this PCR I want to focus mainly on those two elements of the book. One of my favourite quotes from the book is:

“Sometimes it's easy to walk by because we know we can't change someones whole life in a single afternoon. But what we fail to realize it that simple kindness can go a long way toward encouraging someone who is stuck in a desolate place.”- Mike Yankoski

This statement stood out to me so much because it makes sense! Like I mentioned in my last PCR, I did some volunteer work at Siloam Mission with my school. The very first task I had was to go and be friendly with the homeless in the front foyer. I will tell you know, that what nerve racking! All these broken and rugged people watching me as I walked closer did not bring comfort to me, nor did the worries of trying to make conversation. I wanted to change lives. But how would I achieve that? I found out that just asking about someone's day and giving them smiles goes a long way.

I believe a lot of society gives up on homeless people, assuming they're too far gone, criminals, or addicts. While some of that may be true, its not always the case. Under the Overpass was a sweet reminder that no matter your living situation, people are people and therefore should be treated that way.

While reading this book this piece of scripture bounced around in my head from Matthew 25:34-41:

Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’ Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.’

I think what I will take away from this book, more than anything else is that I need to LIVE my faith. Yes, I do believe that faith is a personal thing between yourself and God, but I also believe that God has called us (as written in Matthew) to care for the broke and the hungry. Mike Yankoski has encouraged me to step out of my little bubble and try to care for those who need it. I hope more than anything to return to Siloam Mission soon and continue volunteering there!

Thanks for another great book Mr. Hazeu!

No comments:

Post a Comment